Webcasts - Frequently Asked Questions
- Why is the quality of the video grainy?
- Why are my videos taking so long to start and/or very choppy?
- The video is choppy or stuttering, but the audio is fine?
- Why is my video not playing?
- Can I download the archives onto my computer?
1. Why is the quality of the video grainy?
Your computer may be running on a low-bandwidth network that cannot handle the high resolution videos.
2. Why are my videos taking so long to start and/or very choppy?
This is most likely due to low internet bandwidth and/or and underpowered graphics card. It is required that you have either a Cable or DSL modem providing at least 500 kbps download speed. Please do not download music, movies, or games at the same time as you are watching a broadcast, as this consumes your bandwidth. Note also that if you are on a shared network, other people may be consuming your bandwidth. For example if your children are using the web at the same time you are you may experience degradation. Contact your internet provider if you suspect you are getting less internet bandwidth then you should.
3. The video is choppy or stuttering, but the audio is fine?
This is most likely an issue with your computer's hardware. Here's what you can do:
- Make sure that your system meets our minimum requirements.
- Check the CPU usage on your computer. To check this on Windows, right-click on your task bar, launch the Task Manager and go to the Performance tab. On a Mac, go to Application, then Utilities and launch the Activity Monitor. If the CPU usage while watching a video is above 50% (or 100% on Mac with a dual-core processor), try shutting down any application that may be using your CPU.
- Occasionally, an incomplete copy of a video can get stuck in your cache and never fully download. You can re-attempt the download of the video by clearing your browser's cache.
4. Why is my video not playing?
Make sure you have "Use overlays" checked in the performance tab in Windows Media Player. To do so:
- In Windows Media Player, click on the menu item "Tools-->Options"
- Click on the "Performance" tab
- Click on the "Advanced" button (located in the video acceleration section)
- Ensure the checkbox for "Use overlays" is checked (you may need to check "Use video mixing renderer" first)
5. Can I download the archives onto my computer?
Currently archives are only streamed via video-on-demand from the archive library on the Supreme Court of Canada website.
See also the minimum system requirements for further details.
- Date modified: