Sources of Legal Information Available to the General Public
Table of Contents
Public legal information organizations
These organizations make legal information available to the general public. Many also provide advice and referral to professional lawyers.
Clinics offer free or low-cost legal assistance.
Pro Bono Legal Services
Pro bono services are free legal services offered through lawyers' associations to persons of limited means.
- Pro Bono Law Alberta
- Pro Bono Ontario
- Pro Bono Law Saskatchewan
- Pro Bono Quebec
- For the other provinces and territories, consult the section entitled Pro Bono on the Canadian Bar Association page
Lawyer Referral Services
These services enable members of the public to consult with a lawyer for up to 30 minutes for a minimal fee ($10 to $25). The lawyer a person consults is not obliged to represent that person, nor is that person under any obligation to retain the lawyer.
Law Libraries Open to the Public
Many law libraries are open to the general public. Librarians are able to assist users on how to use legal materials. However, law libraries do not provide legal advice.
- Alberta Law Libraries
- Brian Dickson Law Library (University of Ottawa)
- Carleton University Libraries (Ottawa)
- Courthouse Libraries BC
- E.K. Williams Law Library (University of Manitoba)
- Gerard V. La Forest Law Library (University of New Brunswick)
- Law Society Library of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Law Society of New Brunswick Libraries
- Law Society of Prince Edward Island Law Library
- Law Society of Upper Canada Great Library (Toronto)
- Nunavut Court of Justice Law Library
- Paul Martin Law Library (University of Windsor)
- Sir James Dunn Law Library (Dalhousie University – Halifax)
- University of Calgary Law Library
- University of Saskatchewan Law Library
- William R. Lederman Law Library (Queen's University – Kingston)
- Yukon Public Law Library
Portal providing access to a large number of sources of public legal information on, among other topics, the justice system and how Canadian courts work.
- Date modified: